Experience amazing views of the Matterhorn and the Alps in a combination of cogwheel train ride and easy to moderate day hike
Ride Europe’s second highest railway and the highest open-air railway of the continent – the Gornergrat cog wheel train – up to the 10,134 ft / 3089 meter Gornergrat with incredible views of the Matterhorn accompanying you most of the way.
Walk up to the 360 degree platform area where you see over 29 of the 79 alpine peaks higher than 4000 meters/13,123 ft, including the massive Matterhorn.
Enjoy a 1-2 hour guided hike along signposted trails through an alpine nature reserve with stunning Matterhorn views mirrored in pristine alpine lakes.
Learn about the origins of Zermatt and the people of the canton of Valais (French name) or Wallis (German name)
Local English speaking Guide throughout. Meet Victor one your guides who’s been living in Zermatt for 30 years who knows all the trails, the people and the history of Zermatt.
• The Matterhorn, Bahnhofsplatz, Zermatt 3920 Switzerland
Departure Time: 8:00 AM
Departure Point: 3920 Zermatt, Switzerland
Return Details: Returns to original departure point
:Tour option details are as follows
Option Departure Time: 8:00 AM
- Local guide
- Private tour
- All transport included in itinerary
Change & Refund Policies
- Free cancellation at or before 00:01 at least 2 days before the date of use
- Cancellations made after 00:01 at least 2 days before the date of use will incur a cancellation fee of 100%
- Partial cancellation of this booking is not permitted
How to Use It
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- Your voucher will be sent to your email after your booking is confirmed. Please check the usage instructions on your voucher for more info about how to use it
- Any traveler groups not mentioned in the booking options are not applicable for voucher use.
Infant: Age 0 to 5
Adult: Age 16 to 99
Child: Age 6 to 15
Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
Not wheelchair accessible
Children must be accompanied by an adult; not recommended for children of any age not used to walking distances
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Wear footwear with sturdy soles that grip the ground well
Service animals allowed
Near public transportation
Not recommended for travelers with back problems
Not recommended for pregnant travelers
No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
Face masks required for travelers in public areas
Face masks required for guides in public areas
Social distancing enforced throughout experience