Background- Angkor Thom, the last capital of the Khmer Empire, was a fortified cit enclosing residences of priest, officials of the palace and military, as well as buildings for administering the kingdom.
Getting There - Through here all comers to the city had to pass, and in honor of this function it has been built in a style grandiose and elegant, forming a whole, incomparable in its strength and expression.
Attractions - 5 facts about Angkor Thom
1. Angkor Thom site is 10sq km in size.
2. There are 216 faces on the Bayon temple.
3. Baphuon temple in Angkor Thom became one of the world’s largest jigsaw puzzles when the records from the carefully mapped pieces that had been taken apart were destroyed during the Khmer Rouge. Archaeologists were left with a lot of stones on the ground and only their best guess as to where they might all go.
4. Ta Prohm is not the only temple to feature in Tomb Raider. The east gate of Angkor Thom made an appearance as well.
5. The Angkor Thom gates would have originally been closed with wooden doors.
Hotels - Wide choices
Food & Restaurants - the best food journey is to try local foods and especially street food which will absorbed in your mind.
Credit Beautiful Photos and respect: San Serey
If you cycle on top of the Angkor Thom wall, you end up at this stunning spot at the West Gate.
Tongwangcheng is also called the Great Angkor and Angkor City. It has been destroyed many times in the war and has been rebuilt several times. It is the heart of Angkor's monuments. At its peak, the population reached millions. Today, the remains of the ancient city of Bayon Temple, Bapong Temple, and the Palace of the Sky are the main attractions of the tour. The East Gate was once the location of the movie "Tomb Raider", and there is a "Victory Gate" on the north side of the East Gate that leads directly to the Royal Palace and is dedicated to the King and the Triumph Army.